The PSNI have been handed an 'extremely dangerous' weapon which was found in the Shantallow area of Derry.
The device consisted of an aerosol can with fireworks attached.
It had not exploded but a spokesperson for Shantallow Community Centre said a number of similar devices had been fired in the local area in recent weeks.
"This is not just 'a bit of craic' or just 'messing about', this is really dangerous for those using them and those being victimised by them," the spokesperson added.
Local SDLP councillor Brian Tierney said it was lucky that no one had been hurt.
"This dangerous device could have caused serious injury if it had exploded. I welcome the fact the PSNI have now retrieved the weapon and it will not be causing any harm to anyone.”
“I am aware that some young people have been hiring these devices off in the recent weeks. The noise can be very disturbing and cause anxiety to vulnerable residents.
"This is really dangerous and I would appeal to all parents to speak to their children about this and encourage them not to get involved.”
“It is unfortunately only a matter of time before someone is prosecuted or seriously injured. I appeal to the local community to be vigilant.”
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from Derrynow.com
Buy the e-paper of the Derry News and the County Derry Post here for instant access to Derry's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Derry with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.