Derry Magistrates' Court
A man has appeared at Derry Magistrates' Court charged with assault and sexual assault against his partner.
The man, who cannot be named in order to protect his victim, was charged with the offences that occurred on May 25 last year.
Police responded to the scene of a male acting aggressively towards a female on the Peace Bridge, and CCTV showed the defendant assaulting his partner before touching her in what appeared to be a sexual manner.
No injuries were reported and his partner had no visible marks.
Defence Barrister Stephen Mooney described the offences as 'appalling' but said that his client and the injured party were still in a long term relationship.
He added that the incident hadn't actually been reported to police, but that they came across it by chance while checking CCTV for the Peace Bridge.
He said that there is 'no explanation or justification' for what happened but described it as 'a drunken row between two people in a long-term relationship' and that the defendant had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.
The man was given a twelve month probation order.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.