Derry City scraped past First Division Wexford as they made it into the second round of the FAI Cup thanks to a late David Parkhouse goal.

Derry City 1

Wexford FC 0

The Candy Stripes’ leading scorer struck with just six minutes remaining just when it seemed as if the underdogs would take the game to extra time after defending brilliantly throughout.

The goal was met with relief more than ecstasy as City struggled for inspiration throughout.

It took six minutes before Derry City threatened the Wexford goal and it was a good opportunity for Michael McCrudden to break his duck as he latched onto a pass from David Parkhouse before curling just wide from the edge of the penalty area.

That was as good as it got for the home side who struggled after that bright start. With Wexford sitting back and crowding their own half City struggled to make any ground, their play too slow and ponderous, allowing the Wexford players to get back into position again and again.

The only notable incident in the first half hour was an injury to referee Damien McGraith who had to leave the field of play with a calf injury, to be replaced by fourth official Garbhan Taggart.

City tried to up their game in the closing stage of a very dreary first half, but Michael McCrudden curled straight at Corey Chambers and Parkhouse headed over the bar with the Wexford goalkeeper yet to break a sweat.

It took 75 minutes before goalkeeper Chambers was called into serious action and it was a brilliant save to deny Barry McNamee, whose curling free kick from the corner of the area was headed towards the top corner. From the resulting corner McCauley flicked the ball on and Toal somehow headed over the crossbar from close range as City’s frustration grew.

The breakthrough finally came with just six minutes remaining as Wexford were caught short at the back and McNamee played Parkhouse into a shooting position and the striker made no mistake, slamming the ball past Chambers to great relief around the Brandywell.


Derry City: Cherrie, McChrystal, Toal, Coll, McDonagh, Sloggett, Gillespie (Malone 72’), McNamee, McCrudden (Cole 61’), Parkhouse, Davis (McCauley 61’).

Wexford FC: Chambers, Walsh, Lee Costello, Corish, Cahill, English, O’Connor, Croke (Lawless 72’), Griffin, Nugent, Roche.

Referee: Damien McGraith.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.