Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe scored a hat trick as Derry City produced their biggest ever win at Cork City on a memorable night for Declan Devine’s men.

Cork City 1

Derry City 4

The forward, on loan from Colchester United, was the star man for Derry, as he doubled his tally of league goals in one night against a poor Cork side who played the last half hour with ten men.

An incredible first half began with Derry taking the lead on 12 minutes, David Parkhouse’s shot taking a significant deflection to take it past goalkeeper Mark McNulty who got a hand on the ball but could not keep the ball out as the visitors got off to a brilliant start.

Cork City’s response was a strong one and they should have levelled when Tilley’s floated free kick into the area fell for Graham Cummins but the striker somehow fired wide from just four yards out.

Derry then had Peter Cherrie to thank as Cork passed up another opportunity, the City goalkeeper producing a brilliant fingertip save from Morrissey to deny him a goal from the edge of the area.

Cork were still arguing amongst themselves when Derry struck again just before the half hour mark and it was a brilliant goal from the visitors. Barry McNamee received the ball on the edge of the area and played a quick one-two with Greg Sloggett who ran into space before crossing for Junior Ogedi who slammed the ball past Mark McNulty emphatically to make it 2-0.

It just got worse for the home side when Derry were then awarded a penalty when Gerardo Bruna’s free kick into the area was deemed to have hit the hand of Conor McCormack, but referee Robert Hennessey pointed to the penalty spot much to Cork’s disbelief. Junior, having just scored, stepped up, and although McNulty saved his spot kick, Junior followed up with the rebound to give Derry a 3-0 lead with just over 30 minutes played.

It should have been 4-0 within minutes as Junior then took the ball to the Cork byline and pulled it back to Parkhouse who should have scored but somehow blazed the ball over the bar from close range.

Any hope that Cork City had of mounting a fightback ended before the hour mark when Daire O’Connor received a second yellow card for simulation and the hosts were faced with a mammoth task to recover with ten men in the final half hour.

From there it was just a matter of how much damage Derry could do and Junior completed his hat trick on 65 minutes, a short corner played to McDonagh whose first time cross was headed in by the striker from very close range.

Cork did manage a consolation in the closing minutes when a corner caused a goalmouth scramble and Graham Cummins bundled the ball over the line. It was too little too late for the home side however.


Cork City: Mark McNulty, Sean McLoughlin, Gearoid Morrissey (Darragh Rainsford 45’), Conor McCormack, Graham Cummins, Garry Buckley, Daire O’ Connor, Conor McCarthy, James Tilley (Ronan Hurley 57’), Kevin O’Connor, Dan Casey.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Ciaran Coll, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Jamie McDonagh, Gerardo Bruna (Jack Malone 70’), Ciaron Harkin, Greg Sloggett, Barry McNamee (Shane McNamee 80’), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe (Eoghan Stokes 70’), David Parkhouse.

Referee: Robert Hennessey.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.