This week in 2008….

Kilrea too strong for vibrant Limavady

Derry U16 Vocational Schools Final
St Paul’s Kilrea                  0-14
St Mary’s Limavady         1-4

It was a polished performance from St Paul’s Kilrea who secured the title against a gallant Limavady side who lacked firepower in attack to trouble the winners.

The physical scoring power of Kilrea’s attacking trio of Gary Keane, Conor McKenna and Shane Ferris gave them the edge.

Limavady’s front six failed to score from play over the hour and it was centre back Aaron McColgan’s fisted goal that was their only score not from a placed ball.

For periods of the second half Limavady were the better side, with Cathair Friel dropping deep with his pace to pull the strings.  But they failed to break down Kilrea, who were led by captain Tiernan Rafferty at centre back.

Limavady were constantly off target and dropped a few chances short into the grateful arms of Kilrea goalkeeper Aodhan McAleese.

Daniel Doherty was immense at full back for Kilrea, with Joe Morgan linking their play together from the ‘40’.

Gary Keane was almost unstoppable in attack, with Limavady only able to foul to curb him somewhat.

At midfield it was the size, power and accuracy of Denver Johnston who was a class above everything else.  He was the difference in the teams.

At one point he caught a kick-out from Danny Mullan, took one touch before firing over the bar – and almost over the ball stops.

Limavady were 0-2 to 0-1 ahead after just nine minutes with frees from Davitt McIvor and Paul King, but that’s where it ended.

From then until Declan O’Connor’s half-time whistle it was total Kilrea dominance.  The Dungiven official brandished four yellow cards – three to Limavady – and Johnston kicked four points with captain Rafferty adding a free to open a 0-7 to 0-2 lead.

in the second half, Limavady had a spell of ascendancy but never looked like troubling Kilrea.  Liam O’Kane had a penalty appeal turned down when he appeared to have been pushed by Daniel Doherty.

McKenna and Keane added points as Kilrea pulled further ahead before Limavady found the net.  Damien Barr’s dropping shot was fisted to the net by Aaron McColgan but it was too little too late.

Keane (2) and Shane Ferris added points to ensure the title was coming to Kilrea.


St Paul’s Kilrea: Aodhan McAleese, Colm Bradley, Daniel Doherty, Sean Bateson, Ryan Lynch, Tiernan Rafferty (0-1), Michael Dempsey, Denver Johnston (0-5, 4f), Cathal Bradley, Conor Higgins, Joe Morgan, Daniel McTaggart (0-1), Shane Ferris (0-1), Gary Keane (0-4, 1f), Conor McKenna (0-2).
Subs: Brian Diamond for D McTaggart (33), Dominic Mullan for S Ferris (58).

St Mary’s Limavady: Danny Mullan, Oisin King, Ciaran McIntyre, Aaron McGregor, Eoin McLaughlin, Aaron McColgan (1-0), Dessie Loughery (0-1f), Davitt McIvor (0-2f), Liam O’Kane, Mark McLaughlin, Cathair Friel, Paul King (0-1f), Damien Barr, Niall Mullan, Eoghan Ferris.
Subs: Sean McGonigle for N Mullan (41), Jason Canning for M McLaughlin (54), Michael McGonigle foe D Barr (57).

Ref: Declan O’Connor (Dungiven).

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.