Derry City paid the price for some poor finishing at Richmond Park as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at St. Patrick’s Athletic.

St. Patrick’s Athletic 1

Derry City 0

In what was a disappointing performance overall from the Candystripes, Derry should have got out of jail as they created two gilt-edged chances late on, but Junior Ogedi failed to find the net on both occasions, allowing a nervous St. Pat’s side to survive to pick up their first win in five games.

It is now just one win in eight games for Declan Devine’s side, with the lack of quality in the final third beginning to cost Derry City.

It took City 15 minutes before they caused any consternation in the Pat’s half of the field and it was an ambitious run from Conor McDermott which created the chance for Derry, the full back cutting inside and picking out Gerardo Bruna in space on the edge of the area; it was inviting for Bruna on his favoured left foot and he hit it well, but it was deflected just wide for a corner.

Pat’s hit the front on 23 minutes and there was real annoyance on the City bench when Greg Sloggett was send to the touchline to deal with his bloodied nose from an incident earlier in the game. As a result, Junior had to get back to help out the defence, but he did not pick up Sloggett’s man Kevin Toner, who was picked out unmarked by Drennan to head in the opening goal from close range at the back post.

It took Derry the guts of 70 minutes before they created a chance of note and it was one they should have taken. Ciaron Harkin cushioned a header into the path of McNamee, who played a superb ball in behind the Pat’s centre-halves to put Junior in on goal. Junior was one on one with Brendan Clarke, but even though his shot beat the goalkeeper it stayed pout of the net, hitting the outside of the post much to the disbelief of everyone in green.

That was at least the start of a decent spell of possession for Derry in the second half, and they finally looked interested in getting the equaliser as Pat’s, without a win in four, began to look nervous. There was a real heart in the mouth moment for the Pat’s fans on 78 minutes when Clarke came to collect a cross from Coll, but missed it entirely, but fortunately for the hosts, Junior was unable to scramble the ball home with the angle against him.

Pat’s did react to that scare, and Rhys McCabe sent a header just wide of Cherrie’s goal from another pinpoint Madden cross with the game still there for the taking as it entered the final ten minutes.

There were now chances at both ends and Junior had the chance to play Delap in on goal, but opted for the shot himself and put the ball too close to Clarke.

It was not Junior’s night at all as he passed up another tremendous chance to score within 60 seconds; Ciaran Coll’s cross to the back post was perfect, picking the striker out but he headed wide of goal with just Clarke to beat.

That was City’s last chance.


St. Patrick’s Athletic: Clarke, Webster, Bermingham, Toner, Shaw (Forrester 66’), Markey (Walker 72’), Drennan (Doona 85’), Kelly, Madden, Lennon, McCabe.

Derry City: Cherrie, McDermott (McDonagh 65’), Toal, Cole (Kerr 38’), Coll, Harkin, Bruna, Sloggett, Delap, Ogedi-Uzokwe, Parkhouse (McNamee 50’).

Referee: S Grant.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.