Derry City’s wait for a win over Dundalk continues as they narrowly lost out to a second-half Daniel Kelly goal at Oriel Park.

Dundalk 1

Derry City 0

This contest was no match to the recent thrillers between the teams in cup competition, but the champions still did enough, with City failing to take a number of chances which came their way.

It was Derry who should have taken the lead five minutes later as Barry McNamee dispossessed Brian Gartland just outside the Dundalk penalty area. The City captain just had to run through on goal but he opted for the quick shot in an attempt to catch Gary Rogers out but he was way off target with his effort and a significant opportunity for the visitors was gone.

The first half was proving to be a fairly low-key affair but it almost burst into life as half time approached and Dundalk should have had the lead but for a brilliant save from Cherrie who somehow kept out Hoban’s diving header, the striker throwing himself at Sean Gannon’s cross bravely but the goalkeeper somehow kept it out with his feet.

The goal the game needed finally arrived on 64 minutes and it was Sean Gannon who took all the credit, the full back latching onto a loose ball and racing forward before crossing to the back post where Daniel Kelly got ahead of McDonagh to fire home from close range.

City came so, so close to levelling the game 15 minutes from time. The Candy Stripes caught Dundalk sleeping by taking a quick corner and while Parkhouse missed McNamee’s cross completely, the ball came to Gillespie who, at the second attempt, lashed the ball past Rogers only to be denied by the frame of the goal, the ball striking the inside of the post and somehow staying out. That proved to be the last chance for Derry whose fight for European qualification will go to the final three games of the season.


Dundalk: Rogers, Gannon, Gartland, Shields, Duffy (Lotefa 60’), Hoban, Murray (Kelly 66’), Dummigan, Benson, Kelly (Hanratty 87’), Boyle.

Derry City: Cherrie, McDonagh, Toal, Gilchrist, Coll, Sloggett (Gillespie 32’), McNamee (McCrudden 80’), Harkin, McCauley (Davis 57’), Ogedi-Uzokwe, Parkhouse.

Referee: Neil Doyle.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.