08 Aug 2022

Council urge students to heed home safety advice as new academic year gets underway


As college and university students prepare for a new academic year, Council is encouraging students to keep safe by being aware of potential hazards in their home.

Derry City and Strabane District Council say being mindful of potential hazards in the home and putting in place some simple home safety measures can make the difference between life and death. 

Carbon Monoxide Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. It is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don’t fully burn. Household appliances that are powered by such fuels include boilers, gas fires, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers and open fires.

Breathing in carbon monoxide can make you unwell and, if you are exposed to high levels, can kill.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide aren’t always obvious, particularly at low-level exposure. The most common symptoms include a tension-type headache; dizziness; nausea and vomiting; tiredness and confusion; stomach pain; and shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

Ensure your home or student accommodation has a working carbon monoxide alarm in rooms where a fuel burning appliance is located and test the alarm regularly. If you have a gas appliance, make sure to ask your landlord for a gas safety certificate to show that it has been serviced annually.

Fire Smoke alarms should be installed on every level in student homes and should be tested weekly.

Be aware of the dangers of phone chargers. Counterfeit phone chargers can be deadly as they are often made with poor quality components that fail to meet UK safety regulations. Always use the charger supplied with the phone. Never leave your phone to charge overnight as it can potentially cause a fire due to overheating.

Burglary Always remember to lock doors and close windows when leaving the house, even if it is only for a few minutes.

For further information or advice on issues regarding home accident prevention contact the Home Safety Team on 028 71 235 253 or

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.