08 Aug 2022

Man accused of throwing petrol bombs wore "distinctive red Adidas hooded top" - court told

Derry Magistrate's Court was told today how a man charged with having improvised explosive devices during trouble in the city last summer made himself easily identifiable by tearing a sleeve off his top to use as a mask. John Paul Moore (23), of Carleton Court in the city, was applying for bail in relation to a series of charges including possessing the explosive devices with intent, making, possessing and throwing petrol bombs on 12 and 13 July last year. A police officer opposed bail and said the backdrop to the offences was several days of disorder in the city. She said that Moore came to pice attention in Fahan Street where he was noticed to be wearing "a distinctive red Adidas hooded top" and a baseball hat with his hood up. Moore was seen throwing items onto a barricade and later the court heard throw a petrol bomb towards police. Shortly after this he was seen to tear his sleeve off to use as a mask but according to the officer this made him easily identifiable. The court heard that around 1.30am Moore was seen emerging from the crowd with an object in his pocket. He was said to have removed this, lit a fuse and throww it at police when there was a loud bang. The officer said in all three devices were thrown at police. She said police using a helicopter followed Moore until he was arrested aroubd 4.30am. At interviews he made no comment and said he 'didn't give a flying f---' about the incident. The officer said Moore's offending was "escalating" and there were fears of re-offending. She said there was no DNA or forensics linking the devices to Moore but there was the police identification evidence and she added that Moore had been in breach of his bail when charged with these offences. Defence counsel Stephen Mooney asked had the devices exploded and the officer said they were aerosols with bangers attached and the bangers had exploded but not the canisters. Mr Mooney said that there was a delay in the case. Deputy District Judge Noel Dunlop said Moore was likely to re-offend and refused bail. He will appear again on 21 February next.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.