Search

25/09/2021

Derry man granted anonymity on drugs charges released on bail

derrycourthouse2
A Derry man who appeared at the local Magistrate's Court on drugs and domestic violence charges has been granted anonymity due to the ongoing threat against individuals involved with drugs. The man was charged with being concerned in the supply of cannabis and cocaine on dates between 1 January 1 and 3 March this year. He was also charged with assaulting his partner occassing her actual bodily harm on 1 March. A police officer connected the man to the charges and opposed bail. She told the court police had received a report through the 999 system from the alleged injured party that she had been assaulted by the defendant. She said he had kicked a bottle hitting her in the face and leaving her with a possible fractured eye socket. The officer said the defendant was suspected of being involved in the supply of drugs so they seized items including phones and scales when they went to arrest him. The court heard There was a residue powder on the scales and the officer said it was believed to be cocaine. During police interviews, the court was told the man made full admissions and said he supplied up to 15 people, telling police how he supplied the drugs and said he had a cocaine addiction. Regarding the domestic violence incident, the officer said police believed that this was not the first incident as there was a message to the defendant's mother from his partner saying "he's done it again." THe officer said bail was opposed to protect the woman, her child and the child she was expecting. Defence solicitor, Maoliosa Barr, told the court his client was "embarrassed and ashamed" about his behaviour. He said his client did not have a lavish lifestyle as would befit a drug dealer. District Judge Barney McElholm said it was a bit like the broken window and that only solution was "to attack it at every level." Mr Barr said the defendant had come to a crisis in his life. Judge McElholm said he was referring the case to social services and that the woman had to realise that she had a duty to her children that outweighed her duty to her partner. He said someone with a drug habit should not be around children, adding "if he continued to take drugs anything could happen." Releasing the accused on bail, Mr McElholm ordered him to observe a curfew, wear a tag, have no contact with the alleged injured party or children except through social services and not possess a mobile phone. The man will appear again later this month.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.