Man convicted of causing death by dangerous driving remanded in custody on hijacking and theft charges
05 Mar 2019 3:03 PM
A Derry man facing 12 mostly driving related charges had previously been convicted of causing death by dangerous driving in Donegal, the city's Magistrate's Court heard today. Daniel Joseph Coyle (36), of Glenabbey Road, was charged with dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, driving while unfit, driving while disqualified and having no insurance on March 4. He was also charged with the theft of a power washer valued at £3,000, hijacking, assault and failing to report, remain and stop as well as possessing Diazepam again on the same date. A police officer connected Coyle to the charges and opposed bail. He told the court that a man with a van and a trailer called to a house in the Carnhill area to do some power washing. While he was talking to the householder she informed him some men were lifting things from his trailer. The court was told four men in an Audi car lifted the power washer and made off and the man pursued them on one occasion colliding with their car but the Audi drove on. The court was told at Sandbank Cottages the Audi stopped and three men were said to have approached the van and attacked the driver. The police officer said the incident was captured on CCTV and while faces were unclear the clothes were clear and a man fitting Coyle's description could be seen approaching the an. The men then were alleged to have made off in the van and the Audi which was stopped by the PSNI with Coyle sitting in the back drinking. The description of the van was circulated and Gardai stopped it in Donegal. The officer opposed bail saying Coyle had 'multiple previous convictions' including one for death by dangerous driving in Donegal. The court was told that Coyle had not complied with court orders on both sides of the border. Defence solicitor Keith Kyle asked the officer if there were two men in custody in Donegal and another in custody in Derry in connection with this incident and was told there was. The solicitor asked had Coyle been interviewed and was told he had made a no comment interview on March 4 but was deemed unfit to interview today. Mr Kyle said Coyle would maintain he had no knowledge of what was going on. He added the defendant had 'a range of health issues and was fearful of custody as he will not receive the medical attention he needs. ' District Judge Barney McElholm said it seemed Coyle had no concept of bail conditions. He said he was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and if released could drive again' killing someone else. ' He refused bail and remanded Coyle in custody until March 28.
This publication supports the work of the Press Council of Ireland and Office of the Press Ombudsman, and our staff operate within the Code of Practice of the Press Council. You can obtain a copy of the Code, or contact the Council, at www.presscouncil.ie, Lo-call 1800 208 080 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.