Reacting to the comments of Sergeant O regarding Bloody Sunday, Kate Nash whose brother William was shot dead by the Parachute Regiment said the ex-serviceman’s words were “utterly shocking.”
“It was very emotional. We never slept after it. I spent the night trying to comfort my sister Linda.
“We got to see that he hasn’t mellowed at all. He has moved to say he now thinks innocent people were killed, but then he goes and says he would do the same thing again and lives would be forfeited. I just think his words were cold and brutal to be honest. “
Ms Nash also said it was strange that the ex-soldier admitted making no comment to the PSNI when questioned on Bloody Sunday but then spoke publicly in an interview.
“To me that is showing complete disdain for the legal system. He had plenty to say for himself, so why didn’t he say that to the police when questioned.
“Hopefully he will have his day in court,” she said.
When asked if she feels that the attitude taken by Sergeant O is largely indicative of all the soldiers currently in the legal spotlight, Kate added: “I can only judge that by what I saw at the Bloody Sunday inquiry when soldiers gave their evidence in England.
“I saw different soldiers questioned and I did not get an impression of remorse from most of them.
“One guy did show remorse and told the truth. But he had to be screened, given a new identity and moved out of the country for his own safety because of threats from his former comrades.
“I will not be able to say for sure that any of them have any remorse until I see them in a courtroom and can see for ourselves. That’s when I’ll judge. If they had any remorse they could have contacted us many years ago.”
Responding to Sergeant O’s contentions that everyone on the march on Bloody Sunday were criminals because the demonstration had been banned, Kate Nash said: “I was 23 on Bloody Sunday and that march was because people were being thrown in jail without any chance of a trial or charges. It was internment, so people had a right to protest. I am an activist and it’s certainly something I’d still protest about.
“Those people had every right to be there. We were in a time then when civil rights was a big issue because Catholic people didn’t have the same rights as other communities and people had to protest about that.
“And, then the government came down on us and sent killers in to shoot innocent people.”
Kate added that the comments made by the former soldier has hardened her resolve to get justice regardless of whether prosecutions are announced next week or not.
“If we don’t get prosecutions this time we’ll keep fighting, we’ll just keep going on until I die. I won’t stop protesting about my brother, my brother’s life been taken.
“And, my father’s life was almost taken-what my father had to face that day. His heart was broken until the end of his days. He always thought he should have died.”CAPTION: Lt Col Derek Wilford was awarded an OBE a year after Bloody Sunday.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.