The Department of Education has announced plans for the dismissal of more teachers by way of redundancy in the 2016/17 academic year.
The compensation for teachers who lose their jobs as a consequence of redundancy is to be capped at 52 weeks’ pay. This is a reduction from 60 weeks in the 2015/16 academic year.
Chris Keates, General Secretary of the NASUWT, the largest teachers’ union in Northern Ireland, said:
“The announcement from the Minister today will be roundly criticised by teachers.
“At a time when class-sizes are continuing to grow, the last thing schools need to have to cope with are further cuts to the workforce.
“The Minister has already withheld a miserable 1% pay rise, which had been provided for within the block grant, and now the decision has been taken to further punish teachers who might lose their jobs.
“The repeated attacks on teachers will not be tolerated and NASUWT members will be taking further strike action at the end of this month.”
Justin McCamphill, NASUWT National Official Northern Ireland, said: “At a time when the workforce is at breaking point, pay is being suffocated and pensions are being eroded, teachers deserve fair compensation if they lose their jobs.
“It seems that money can be found for RHI, but when it comes to education and safe-guarding the livelihood of workers, the Minister seems uninterested.
“This is a further attack on education and a further attack on teachers which will be responded to by the NASUWT accordingly.”
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 07825 711978. Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.