A Derry councillor has called for the emergency repair of lights in the Gartan Square area of the Bogside  with the flats complex (pictured) there being plunged into darkness at night time.

Councilllor Duddy said “When I got the call from a local resident, I thought it was street a light needing repaired but was shocked to see the entire upper balcony, the walkway and stairs in complete darkness.

“It’s of paramount importance that these lights are repaired as soon as possible. In the event of a fire this is the only way out of the upper floor. It’s also very dangerous for anyone using the stairs as you can only  see a few feet in front of you. And unfair for residents having to live in such conditions.

“I will be in contact with the Housing Executive and Transport NI to see if we can get a speedy resolution to this."

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Derry Now editorial team on 028 7129 6600 for Derry City stories Or 028 7774 3970 for County Derry stories. Or you can email [email protected] or [email protected] at any time.